Sunday 10 April 2011

Pumpkin soup

I used the beef stock that I made in the last post as the basis for this soup.


Use 1 whole buttercup pumpkin.  Remove the skin and seeds and roughly chop.



Chop 1 onion and 3 cloves of garlic and gently saute using garlic oil  or any other oil you feel like, along with 6 kaffir lime leaves and some maldon salt.  Cook for about 15mins.


Then add enough beef stock to just cover the pumpkin.(probably 2 or 3 cups).  Bring to the boil and simmer till the pumpkin is soft.  Add 1 cup of rinsed red lentils.  I only added them because I had them.  I don't know if it really added to the flavour or not,  I guess it added some texture.  Simmer for further 20mins to cook the lentils.  Then add one teaspoon of brown sugar or palm sugar, if you have it to bring out the sweetness of the pumpkin.  I also add a few shakes of fish  sauce.



Once all cooked and cooled a little ,blitz in a blender to get a nice smooth consistency.
Serve with some coriander flowers and a squeeze of lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment