Friday 10 June 2011

Sri Lankan curry blend


I got the recipe for this spice blend from the book 'Spice Market' essential information on spices, spice mixes and spice pastes by Jane Lawson.  It is a beautiful book.  I intend to use this blend for chicken.

You will need

3 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
2 cm cinnamon stick
6 cloves
1/4 teaspoon cardamon seeds from green pods.  Crack open the pods
2 dried chillies
2 teaspoons dried curry leaves  ( I didn't have these so I didn't put them in)


Gently dry-fry them on low heat in a heavy based bottom pan until fragrant about 3 mins.  Don't let them brown too much or it will become bitter and awful and a waste of time.


I started to pound in a mortar and pestle but it was going to take too long, so I used the electric spice grinder instead which only took seconds.

1 comment:

  1. Valuable for information if there is any other blog related this text me on

    Curry Blend

    ReplyDelete