Sunday 17 July 2011

Beef with red wine jus



Unfortunately these are the only pictures from friday nights dinner.  Family too impatient and not cooperative.
Anyway I will explain instead.  We had beef rump with cauliflower puree, garlic saute baby spinach with red wine jus.
As you can see I have marinated a whole piece of beef rump,  thick cut is crucial.  The butcher at 'Nosh' cuts a decent size.  It is simply marinated in garlic, good olive oil, maldon sea salt (a generous amount) and pepper and not much pepper at that.  Despite what chefs say about not salting meat well before cooking.  I have had only good results.  Always tender and juicy.


Cook the beef as a whole piece on the BBQ.  It takes about 10 mins total.  Be sure to let it rest for a good 10 mins also before slicing thinly on the diagonal.  For a sliced photo view here.  It's the last photo of the  post.


This is the first time I have made a beef red wine jus and it was damn good.  Had to take a photo with the left overs on sat morning.
Add 1 cup of red wine to a pot and reduce down to about 2 tablespoons so it is nice and syrupy when cool.  Add about 3 cups of homemade beef stock and reduce down to about a cup.  I didn't need to add anything else, other than the butter (1-2 tablespoons) at the end.  It pulls the sauce together and adds a nice gloss.  The flavour of the beef stock was good so I think that is the key.  Taste for seasoning though.  Auctually I tell a lie, I added some sweetness in the form of my quince jelly.  I used a small teaspoon.  Anything sweet will do.
Assemble first with the cauliflower puree.  I used beef stock to thin the cauliflower this time and I think it is better for this dish.
Next add the baby spinach which I quickly wilted in the wok with some butter, salt and garlic.  It took only seconds.
Lay your slices of beef on top of that and pour over the jus.

No comments:

Post a Comment