Saturday 12 November 2011

sort of kedgeree...




Actually I made the curry powder (previous post) because I felt like this dish for breakfast on Sunday morning.  I can eat any types of food any time of the day and any left over dinner to me is the ultimate breakfast.
Anyway there was some left over plain white rice in the fridge from the previous nights dinner and I felt like something savoury and spicy, so kedgeree came to mind, not that I have made it before or actually eaten it either.
Well I started looking at some recipes and realised I did'nt have the main ingredient which is smoked haddock.  Well that wasn't going to deter me and I thought tuna from a can would be a reasonable substitute.  I was pleasantly surprised, very tasty.  I love eggs and tomatoes so it couldn't be wrong.
Probably a dish you don't want to eat at work as it has the winning smell combination of eggs, fish and curry.

For my adapted recipe from Jamie Oliver, you will need

  • 2-3 cups of cooked plain white rice
  • 1 small tin of lite tuna  (or preferably use smoked haddock or even smoked fish would be better)
  • 1 finely chopped onion
  • 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
  • 2 tablespoons of curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
  • 4 chopped tomatoes
  • 4 soft boiled or hard if you prefer eggs
  • 1 handful of chopped coriander

Start by frying the onions in some butter on medium heat then add the garlic and ginger and gently fry till they have softened.  Next add the curry powder and mustard seeds and mix together to get a good paste.
Next add the rice to the pan and mix through the spice mixture till well coated and warmed through, followed by the tuna, tomatoes, coriander and eggs and there you have it.

1 comment: