Friday 15 June 2012

easy scallop potatoes



I watched this video on 'Saveur' - How to make speedy scallop potatoes.
I made this dish last night for dinner along with lamb steaks and salsa verde and I thought that I would share it with you as it is so simple to make and extremely delicious and watching it on video makes everything less complicated.




I used about 5 medium potatoes, 1 clove of garlic grated on the microplane,  1/2 cup cream and the rest of milk (not quite covering the potatoes) and some finely grated parmesan cheese and yes, some butter.   Above, is at the stage when it had finished its cooking on the stovetop.  Around 10 mins of cooking time,  You need to stir it around or it will stick on the bottom.


I know this ridiciously indulgent with the buffalo mozzarella on top, but it was in the fridge and needed to be used.  I usually think it is sacrilege to cook fresh mozzarella.  I also added some grated mozzarella and some more parmesan. Use whatever cheese and as much as you like. I left it in the same pan and  baked it till golden.  


I found a patch of mint that had sprung up secretly in my garden, so I decided that would be my basis for salsa verde.
This is not your traditional salsa verde.  Literally it means green sauce so I just made mine up with what  I had in the fridge and cupboard and in the garden.
I used a bunch of mint, 1/2 the amount of parsley to mint, 1 small finely chopped red onion, 1 large tablespoon of capers, 2 gerkins finely chopped, lemon juice and olive oil.
I like my salsa verde sweet and tart pefect for cutting through the richness of the potatoes.


This is a sometimes dinner, perfect for a weekend comfort winter meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment